fot

RE: RE: 1950 GMC Service Station pick-up truck

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RE: 1950 GMC Service Station pick-up truck
From: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 19:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
Okay, consider me naive but doesn't anyone ever do a sting on these scammers?
The $6200 check or note must come from somewhere. I understand if it's from
another country we have no / little ability to go after the people, but this is
happening at such an alarming rate that our goverment, which prides itself in
how well it protects us from ourselves, must be able to take some action. Has
anyone ever heard of a sucessful sting on such a scam? Thanks - Ed

Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com> wrote:> I can't see
> how the scam
> is going to work, but complex financial transactions are always suspect.

The trick is the $6200 check being used to pay for a $2500 item, with the
rest of the money being sent somewhere else. My guess is that the "shipper"
is nothing of the sort, just another alias for the scam artist. Most likely
would never show up to take possession of the truck (and risk being
arrested) ... but the $6200 check will be discovered to be a forgery in a
few weeks. John's $3700 check to the "shipper" will most likely be good ...
but even if not, the scammer hasn't lost anything.

They say the scam artists always use bad English, so the potential scam-ee
can feel superior and confident they can't be ripped off by someone who
can't write well. Doesn't follow obviously, but I'm told that's the
psychology of it.

Randall