fot

Re: Overdrive Oil Pressure

To: "Geoffrey Byrne" <gkbyrne@optushome.com.au>,
Subject: Re: Overdrive Oil Pressure
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:59:15 +1200
In a J type the pressure was related to the power of the engine, 460 PSI is
probably OK for a Sprint although I don't have the book that lists the
pressures anymore. The lowest pressure was for a Spitfire at about 350,
2000s had around 400 so 460 is OK for a Sprint in normal use. In any case
high oil pressure tends to make the overdrive action a bit violent. If you
want to raise the pressure it depends what type of relief valve is fitted,
the early ones (which you probably have) have to have extra washers fitted
after taking the inner bit apart, later ones can have shims fitted to raise
the pressure much more easily. Later relief valve assemblies can be retro
fitted to early J types.
John Kipping