fot

Re: Tilton Hydraulic Release Bearing

To: mcandrew@pol.net
Subject: Re: Tilton Hydraulic Release Bearing
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 02:21:19 GMT
I am using a Howe Racing Hydraulic Release bearing, But I am also using a Ford
T5 tranny and a Tilton/Quatermaster 7.25 clutch.  I am still using a TR
bellhousing.  The bolt pattern matches very closely to the TR input shaft
bearing retainer bolts.  I did need to grind a little of the release bearing
housing (inside the bolt slots) to make it fit.  I run the hydraulic lines out
of the crosshaft hole on the left.  You will need to cut the pilot shaft that
the TR throwout bearing normally slides on back, since the ID of the Howe
bearing is much smaller (caution, since I am not using a TR bearing retainer,
you will want to double check the dimensions of the Howe one compered to the
TR).  I also do not know if this will work with the stock TR type clutch.  You
can see it at Howeracing.com.  I don't recall who I bought it from, but it was
much less expensive than the others that I looked at.  Their website lists
their retailers.  I may have bought it from Summit Racing.  Joe(B)
-- <mcandrew@pol.net> wrote:
Friends

Is anyone using a Titlton hydraulic clutch release bearing in a TR3?  I
know Cambridge Motor Sports sells a hydraulic release bearing kit but it
is kind of pricey.  Also in Roger Williams' book "How to Improve Triumph
TR2-4A", he mentions a Tilton "throw-out" cylinder which is widely
available in the US (but no part number).  Do we just order a generic
model and make our own mounting plate?  Does anyone have a pattern for a
mounting plate?

Thanks

Jim McAndrew
Tyler, Texas