fot

Mitty mechanical stuff

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Mitty mechanical stuff
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 08:23:01 -0500
I thought it might be of use to my fellow racers to point out several
things I've learned over the past week or so that may help save somebody
else some grief:

Steering rack mounting brackets fail on TR3, TR4, and TR6. Welds break. I
learned that it's not too uncommon, but I didn't know it. I'm completely
redesigning mine.

Master switches fail, especially the kind with the six terminals for
protecting the alternator. Who woulda thunk it?

Denso alternators do fail, and some of us who bought them not knowing what
they were originally used on are in for nasty surprises when a substitute
cannot be identified and/or when the rebuilding bill comes. I ended back up
with a Chevy but I now have two Densos for sale. My experience may be just
dumb bad luck. I hope it's not typical . I liked the Denso better because
of the size.

There seems to be a rash of bronze valve guide sticking problems. Insist
that your machine shop gives you .003 to .004 stem-to-guide clearance. Best
not to use valve guide seals too. I'm resorting to measuring each guide myself.

One nice thing about these cars -- they sure keep a person humble. Amazing
that there is still so much to learn about such a primitive device.

uncle jack