fot

Mid -Ohio

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mid -Ohio
From: "Lamp, Randy H" <rhlamp@babcock.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:07:34 -0400
I have been going to Mid-Ohio road course since it was not much more
than a cow pasture with some pavement laid down on it. I say this not to
try and elevate my status as a sports car racing fan , but only to
validate what I'm about to say.  Mid -Ohio for a lack of a better way to
put it  is my home track. I live about an hour away, and have always
felt fortunate to have such a great facility close by. I've attended
many races both as a competitor and a spectator and for the most part
have always had an enjoyable experience. It is a place of extremes.
There is the excitement of all those colorful, low slung race cars
,screaming around the track, the activities in the paddock, and you can
almost cut with a knife the anticipation in the air of  the drivers with
their cars on the false grid. But at the end of the day the whole place
turns into one of the most peaceful settings you can be in. Standing up
on the hill at the keyhole ,watching the sun set over the track and the
valley below is a great experience.

Having said all of that ,I pretty much agree with the recent postings
about the overall feel of the place. It has only been a year or so since
they opened the infield of the track for the SCCA club races, they are
still making the regions hosting the events, pay for all of the garages
as part of the track rental and requiring them to try and rent them out
to competitors. Makes it that much harder  for them to run an event.
There are also way to many regulations and restrictions to try and
follow.

The attitude of the track security people has in many cases just been un
acceptable. Just last year , at one of the larger professional events ,
I was just about put in handcuffs by a very young and in experienced
rent a sheriff for what he referred to as a pedestrian violation! Yes
,you read it correctly ,a pedestrian violation. Apparently I was walking
outside of some imaginary lines while crossing the road to the infield
down by turn one. He grabbed me by my elbow and pulled me to the side of
the crowd and told me to wait there for him  , with the racing about to
start , I said I don't think so partner. I guess that pissed him of. His
response to me was "by the authority given to me by the county and by
Mid -Ohio I am going to arrest you for a pedestrian violation ",and
started reaching for his handcuffs!  My jaw hit the ground and everyone
standing close enough to hear what he said pretty much had the same
reaction. Right move or wrong move ,I don't know but I  stepped in as
close to him as I could and quietly told him that he should think very
carefully about his next move and consider all of his options. The
bottom line was that those cuffs in your hands are not going on me
today.

My granddaughter is crying ,asking my wife why the policeman is being
mean to her grand pa,my wife is starting to cry ,thinking after thirty
-five years of marriage with out so much as a speeding ticket ,she was
going to see me put in hand cuffs and taken away to jail and I'm gearing
myself up  to see if my old body can still take care of itself. This was
a very bad situation.

 Luckily an older more mature sheriffs deputy came on the scene and
quickly dispersed the situation . He told the nit wit to apologize to me
and my family ,but even a year later , I am not sure I want to go back.
The SVRA event is only little more than a month away and I sure would
like to run that old Triumph out in my garage around my favorite track ,
but it isn't looking good.

The whole negative thing towards the track is kind of a shame ,but from
my experience it is warranted.

R.Lamp