fot

Re: More Triumph Rumors

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Triumph Rumors
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:32:06 -0400
Editorgary@aol.com wrote:

>> Picked up a new rumor from across the pond -- or at least a new echo of an
>> old rumor -- that BMW is soon going to be announcing a new small roadster...
>[that] will be badged as a Triumph.

Michael Porter replied:

>Ah, well, with apologies to Gertrude Stein: A BMW is a BMW is a BMW.

=======
Yeah, but what did SHE drive? :-)

I'm not optimistic, and I'm also not a bit BMW fan. But I suppose it could be
worse; after all, Michelotti did do a fair bit of styling work for BMW in the
early 1960s, just as he did for Triumph.

And I guess I can't get too upset about slapping the Triumph name on a product
that shares nothing with the past. Look at almost anything "Triumph" after
1945; they're all pretty much Standard-based mechanically until you get to the
Stag and the TR7. Of course, those two actually have probably a fair bit of
Leyland influence or, later on, BLMC or JRT or ??? influence. :-)

I just hope they don't go too "upmarket" with such a car if such a car is
produced. Heck, I'm still disappointed that a more basic "New Mini" isn't
available in the US; I'd be happy to be proclaimed a "poser" driving a less
powerful Mini that could still feel good and pull down high MPGs! That's the
sort of BMW influence/philosophy that I fear might hurt a new Triumph. But then
it's not 1960 any more, especially in the automotive market. ;-)

--Andy Mace