fot

Re: C/R Gear Box-TR3/4/6 - now gearing in general

To: barry rosenberg <britcars@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: C/R Gear Box-TR3/4/6 - now gearing in general
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:44:23 -0500
My home track is Hallett - very tight.  I've run it with a 4.10 rear,
stock gears and OD (all 3rd and 3rd OD, except 1 turn uses 2nd and 1
uses 2nd OD) and I've run it with 3.70 rear and C/R box with no OD (one
turn uses 1st, the rest in 2nd and 3rd).  I'm thinking 4.55 C/R box with
OD would be the ticket.  I wouldn't really need the OD at Hallett, but I
would need it at other tracks.  I hear a lot about the temperamental OD,
but I may have the only documented case of an overdrive saving the day.
A couple years back I had a throw out bearing go bad.  I had to run half
of one race and all of another with the transmission left in 3rd.  You
know, I had a lap within 1 1/2 seconds of my best time.