fot

Re: Hallet in Spring of 2006

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hallet in Spring of 2006
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 04:39:16 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 1:43 PM

> Yeah, but when you live in the northwest, nothing is close! Not even
> California!
>
> :-)

For whatever reason, the above was all that appeared of what was a longer
message. Repeating:

Yeah, but when you live in the northwest, nothing is close! Not even
California!

:-)

As is often the case, the wisecrack has a nugget of reality to it. The
reality in this case is that coming from Boston, for example, there are
Interstates running diagonally across the country that makes it almost a
straightline journey to Tulsa (1601 miles according to my Rand-McNally).
While coming from Seattle you get diagonal to Salt Lake  City, then must do
a dogleg through Nebraska or Kansas before turning south to Tulsa (making it
some 1950 miles).

But I gotta tellya, to even it out and get 175 miles closer to the west puts
you in the high plains of western Oklahoma/Kansas/Nebraska and there's
nothing there! That also, however, means roads that are faster than the ones
in the east so driving time is not all that different. Speed limits are
higher in Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas than they are in Massachusetts,
Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, just because of traffic density.

Hallett (or Heartland Park or Mid-America [Omaha]) are about as central as
it gets.

As one who has raced all three many times, I'll tellya Hallett is a fun
track for LBCs. It's not terribly fast so you don't spend a lot of time at
WOT, but it has challenging turns and stuff we little cars do well. And then
lots of runoff so even mishaps are seldom terminal. I've always said you can
tell it was built by an H Production driver (Toly Arutunoff).

You'll like it. I always have.

--Rocky Entriken