fot

RE: Non VTR help needed (distributor)

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, "'Martin Sukey'"
Subject: RE: Non VTR help needed (distributor)
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:11:03 -0700
Ah, I see it is a dual point.

My guess Marty is that you are looking at the shorting points not the
control points. The way a Dual point distributor works is that the dwell
(the time the points are closed and the coil is being saturated) is
increased by a set of shorting points. The shorting points open before the
control points, but nothing happens because electricity is still flowing
through the control points to the coil. When the control points open, both
pairs of points are now open, so the electricity is cut off, the magnetic
field in the coil collapses, and the spark fires.  Shortly after the control
points open the shorting points close and start charging the coil again.
With only one set of points you'd need a heavy points spring and a radical
points cam to get the points closed fast enough at high RPM. That would wear
the rubbing block like crazy.  But with dual points the shorting points are
starting to close as the control points open, so the dwell can be much more
precisely adjusted.

It's the second set of points opening that triggers the spark.