fot

J-type overdrive

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: J-type overdrive
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:16:01 -0400
FoTers,
Help me shift gears from catapult issues. Before the Mitty I drained all the
juice out of my TR-6 transmission, replaced the front and rear seals, put on
a new clutch (backwards, as you may remember) and drove 65 miles up to the
race. The overdrive worked fine for about 25 miles then jumped back into
straight 4th gear. It would then work for a little bit, then not work at
all. The solenoid sounds good when I put it in third or fourth gear and
flick the switch. The ammeter drops the usual amount.
I topped the transmission off before I left for the race. At the track I
checked the level and found that I needed another quart +. I put this in (90
weight) but the OD didn't kick in.
I do not believe that it is an electrical problem and I'm reluctant to
believe that it is entirely mechanical. This leaves me to suspect mystical
stuff like pump cavitation or something that might be related to bleeding
the oil system. Do you (can you) bleed these things?  Any ideas?
Richard

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=7384&par
tner=hotbar> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!