fot

Strange days at Wine Country

To: "'Rikrock@aol.com '" <Rikrock@aol.com>,
Subject: Strange days at Wine Country
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:00:57 -0700
Sure had a lot of weird things happen today. Must have been the Mourverdre.
Peyote was going like stink--running away from cars that should have just
pounded us. John Mozart's Lister, all the Lotuses and Lolas, Devin SS's,
everything. When flying into the Carousel with a Jag?lister and Devin SS in
hot pursuit, only to find a Lotus had dumped all it's oil. Spun instantly in
perfect sync with the Devin and Lister. Easy to see them because I was going
backwards down the carousel. Thought everything was cool because I was so
far from any wall, but the devin got me and just about ripped off the back
end of Peyote. Total damage to the Devin was a little crack in the
fobreglass. Lots of frantic pit bodywork and Peyote looked almost good as
new. It's probably a bad thing that I can make this thing look like nothing
happened after a major crash with just a ball pein hammer and a block of
wood.

Got blessed by Tech, back out for the main event, and again Peyote is going
great guns in a very fast group--in third behind Don Orosco and Pete
Lovely's Loti, harrying Pete for second. Right at the end of the front
straight the steering wheel drops right in my lap. It disconnected fron the
rack--the rubber flex fitting cam apart. I'm doing abbout 115 and there's no
steering!

Fortunately I switched to TR6 trunnions last year and they have caster. the
car was wobbling, but when I touched the brake it straightened.
Unfortunately it was headed for the wall. So I lifted again and it wobbled
away from the wall, hit the brakes again and it stabilized going straight
for the escape road--so I threaded thed needle between a concrete jersey
barrier and armco at high speed with no steering. Got it stopped and just
sat and stared for a while. Very weird. Very lucky.