fot

re:TR6PI

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Subject: re:TR6PI
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:28:14 -0700
    Sovern should note that some time after '69 the carbureted cars were
put into D prod where they ran with the likes of 2 liter 911s, Datsun SU
carbed roadsters, etc. The PI cars were C prod and ran with 914-6s, and
Solex carbed Datsuns, and in '70 the 240 Z. I am sure Kas could shed
some light on the time line. There is some logic to allowing TR6s to run
Webers if they are going to have to compete with C Prod type cars as the
PI system was never widely available in the States. Unfortunately, the
Webers are visible. I am sure that all of those early 911s never run the
2.7 - 3.2 liter motors and the Zs never run the 3 liter diesel crank.
    Just for the record, back in 1983 I saw the Andial dyno sheets for a
front running 911 2 liter at Riverside. It made 217 hp new and 214 hp
after 2 seasons. A Stromberg carbed TR6 of the time made 225-230 hp. The
911 weighed 1980 and the 6 weighed 2180 as I recall. 1983 production
rules were pretty much the same as the '69 rules regarding engine mods.
Interestingly a modern 240Z E prod Rebello engine will make 245hp under
the limited prep rules with 2 SUs. These rules are more restrictive than
the '69 rules.
    Road race sanctioning bodies seem to always try to equalize
competition  by adjusting for the same hp to weight figures within a
given class. This approach ALWAYS leaves the advantage to the light car
because of slower braking and corner speeds of the heavier car. It gets
even worse if everybody is on the same rubber. Current SCCA EP is a
glaring example. Almost everybody is on the same 15x7 rim with weights
ranging from 1530# for the 1622cc Elva to 2390# for the 260Z.
     Enough ranting. I've had too much caffeine.
Greg Lund