fot

Re: Setting valves

To: charly@mitchelplumbing.com, BillB@bnj.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net,
Subject: Re: Setting valves
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:25:54 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/2005 1:37:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
charly@mitchelplumbing.com writes:

I  understand the 1 & 4 and the 2&3 thing, but where I get lost is what  about
5&6?

Now I'm getting lost. The "opposite" method ie dividing the head in half,
front to rear, & setting a particular valve with its opposite valve fully
open,
is for a STOCK cam without a bunch of overlap. Race cams have completely
different ramps & this procedure isn't reliable. The MOST ACCURATE &  EASIEST
method is as follows, starting with the intake.
Pick a cylinder to start with (#1) & rotate the engine in normal  direction
until the #1 cylinder EXHAUST valve is just STARTING TO  OPEN, just coming off
the seat. Set the intake. Continue rotating until the next  cylinder in firing
order has its exhaust starting to open, again, set its  intake. Repeat as
necessary. Exhaust is the same but you adjust the exhaust  valve with the
INTAKE
on that cylinder FULLY OPEN & just STARTING TO CLOSE  ie right past full lift.
Also any bumpstick with a base-circle out more than a few (VERY few) thou
likely isn't very accurately machined & probably doesn't belong in  a race
engine to begin with.

try this at your own risk,
Glen