fot

FoT Nomination-Jim Hassall

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: FoT Nomination-Jim Hassall
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:41:16 EDT
FoT,

I would like to sponsor Jim Hassall, of the Virginia Hassall's. A former Road
Racer in DP, he is coming out retirement.

2nd Please, and then welcome him. Contact him by:

jhassall@blacksburg.net

Until Bradakis plunks his magic twanger.

........................here is his car description that is a Work In
Process:

Joe

The car is currently being set up as follows: Isky 777 cam, (degreed to
within 1 degree), 10:1 CR, all chambers CCd to within 0.01CC, ports enlarged
and
polished.  I probably screwed up on the intakes, as they're 1.75" (line to line
with the standard manifold gasket), but I'm planning to use 40 DCOE Webers, so
there will be lots of turbulence at the port face - not good.  I flowed the
head and undercut the back of the valves for a bit better flow.  I have headers
(not tuned, just TRF jobs).  I've lightened all lifters and have Isky
competition valve springs.  I lightened and balanced the pistons (86.6mm) to
0.05
grams and lightened and balanced the rods dead nuts.  Then had all rotating
bits
balanced.

I'm going to rebuild a Lucas distributor and use a Pertronix electronic
ignition, perhaps add an MSD later.  I've completely rebuilt the gearbox and
added
an A-type OD rebuilt by John Esposito.  I asked him to increase the pump
pressure and shorten the shift time for "instant" shifts.  May not be good on
the
drive train, but hey.  I completely rebuilt the solid axle rear, installed a
Quaiffe LSD and installed 4.85 gears.  The gears will be great for autoxing,
but
would be too short legged for track runs.  My DP car used 4.55 gears, which
ISTR worked pretty well.  I have a TRF sway bar in the back, will fab a custom
bar in the front (I'm not going to use the bumper brackets, so need to mount
the bar on the frame, which will be much more solid anyway).  I'm going to fab
a roll bar which mounts to the frame.  Want to either find or fab a set of
traction bars.  I haven't settled on wheels yet - I'd like to use a set of AREs
-
time will tell.  Brakes are stock at the moment - the only change is DOT 5
fluif.  I plan to use conformal seats (haven't decided which) for better
lateral
support and a bit more protection.  Seat belts will be three inch and
shoulder belts with lever latch.

Basically we'll have a brand new 40 year old car when finished.  I have a
terminal case of shipwright's disease, but it's fun.  Our daughter is helping
(off and on), so my objective of teaching her how cars work is sort of being
accomplished.  I've checked VARA for rules, but am not too concerned about
compliance, but don't know what rules cover autoxing, so I may be screaming
down a
wrong path.

I could go on and on.

I really appreciate your offer to give me advice.  Feel free to tell me if
I'm screwing up.

Jim