fot

RE: Valve cover gasket>> 101

To: "rob" <19to1tr6@comcast.net>, "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve cover gasket>> 101
From: "barry rosenberg" <britcars@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:29:13 -0400
     I have not run a gasket on a TR4 engine with the aluminum valve covers
for the last ten years at least. I clean the cover with carb cleaner and
spread a thin layer of silicone on it with a finger. Then coat the mating
surface on the head with grease  and place the cover on in position. Light
finger tight on the nuts to hold it in place overnight. Next morning, remove
the cover, trim the silicone and wipe of most of the grease with a dry rag.
The cover can now be removed hundreds of times with no gasket problems and
no leaks. And there is no gasket to "blow out" in the future.    Barry