fot

RE: Mallory failure alert

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mallory failure alert
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:31:56 -0700
> Here's the nasty
> part--you need to be pretty careful about alternators. In the range of RPMs
> that racing tractor motors reach, the alternator needs to put out reasonable
> voltage at idle

You lost me here, Bill ... why does a racing motor need alternator output at
idle ?

My street engines don't charge worth a darn at idle, and they spend a whole lot
more time idling than I'd expect on the race track ...

BTW all "points replacement" ignitions are not created equal ... Crane promises
operation down to 8 volts, while my old Allison crapped out around 10.  But a
healthy car battery has to be pretty well drained to even get down to 10, so no
problem with not charging at idle unless you plan to let the engine idle for
several hours.

Randall