fot

RE: TR4 racecar on eBay

To: "'Herald948@aol.com '" <Herald948@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: TR4 racecar on eBay
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 07:47:09 -0700
The picture is too small to be sure, but it looks like an early /2 BMW,
maybe an R60 or R69. And I'm no expert on sidecars, but that's a fairly
common look--I think it's a Watsonian, though those might be the ones that
look more like dirigibles. I love the way sidehacks look, but they suck out
loud to drive. I nearly took one off the bike with my boss in the hack
because I kind of forgot that the hack was there--came within a microsecond
of scraping him off on a parked car. Thirty years later and he's still
giving me s$#t about it.

Hacks should really only be fitted to older bikes--newer bikes--meaning BMW
/5 or anything from that era (early 70's on) can't stand the sideways forces
on the frame--the sophisticated frames were actually engineered instead of
being built from heavy pipes and brazed lugs. I probably replaced ten BMW
frames in my career as a mechanic because people insisted on sticking hacks
on modern BMWs