fot

RE: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:24:40 -0700
> I don't recall for certain but I don't think the metal bushings are long
> enough to be clamped between the mounting ears and held stationary forcing the
> rotation to be between the bushing and the poly mount and not the bolt shaft
> to bushing.

If true, that would definitely be a problem.  However on the ones I have (not
yet installed), the metal tube has 'teeth' to bite into the mounting ears and
keep the tube from rotating on the bolt.  I don't think the tube is longer than
the bushing, but the bushing will compress slightly on installation so the tube
will be firmly clamped.

> To those suppliers who sell the poly bushing replacements and who read these
> lists. Do you know the engineering that applies?

With respect, very few suppliers know anything about engineering.  IMO that's
perfectly reasonable, since engineering is not their job.

> I'm fairly
> certain that I'll go back to rubber in the future if I can find an adequate
> way to install new ones.

I've not done the rear of my IRS Triumph yet, and when I do I'll go with a
combination of relatively soft poly & rubber.  But I did the front of my
beam-axle street TR3A all in brass and Nylatron (which is firmer than even the
hardest poly), and was very happy with the increase in bushing life (rubber
never lasted me more than about 2 years) and crispness of handling.  With the
relatively soft tires I was using, I didn't notice any increase in harshness or
vibration.  I'll be doing the same thing to my 'new' street TR3.

Randall