fot

RE: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?

To: "'Scott Janzen'" <s.janzen@comcast.net>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:36:23 -0700
No recommendation, but an observation.

>From now on I'm only buying diesels as haulers, and as small as possible to
still fit the need. Gas-powered vehicles seem to suffer terribly from
hauling (mileage, transmission overheating, brake rotor warpage, etc.),
while diesels seem to take it in stride with no decline in mileage to speak
of, even when the engine seems barely sufficient. I'd also get the biggest
brakes I can find--the real, real limitation on trailer-pulling is brakes.
I've just warped a new set of rotors on my Yukon Denali to the point that
they feel like constant ABS. I've found both Suburban and Yukon/Tahoe to be
deficient in their front brakes.

I'm working away on the Airstream hauler. I don't know what the final weight
will be, but I'm going to buy something appropriate to haul it. I was
planning to drop a Diesel into my 1949 Chevy pickup and build a good hauler
out of it, but I'm tired of big projects for the time being, so I'm going to
work on some motorcycle projects and just buy something.  I'll be interested
to hear the opinions of this crowd.