fot

I'm the guilty party on tire discussion

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm the guilty party on tire discussion
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:01:42 -0500
I started all this by needling Tony about being sideways too much.
Then I had the problem myself and it startled me because I'm not
going any faster than I used to.

Then I started the web discussion about tires with this message below
dated 8/22/05. I don't think it accomplished much other than giving
us something interesting to talk about, which actually does have some
value. Somebody posted a message within the last couple of weeks
pertaining to a conversation they had with Hoosier but I can't find
the message. Hoosier won't return my calls. Not surprising.

Henry's experience at Mid Ohio is exactly what I'm talking about.
Granted, the faster you go, the faster the tires wear. But I took a
brand new set to Grattan, broke them in per Hoosier directions, and
they were completely worn out after two weekends, running the same
lap times that I've always run. I'd like to tell everybody that I'm
faster than I used to be, but that simply isn't so. I have a record
of my fast lap times from every vintage race I've run and except for
that bonzaii run at Road America this September, they look pretty
much the same for several years.

Here's the original message: