fot

RE: cams, lifters, etc

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cams, lifters, etc
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:14:59 -0800
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

For what it's worth, I've inspected the engine I ran most of the year with
the composite ceramic lifters. Lots of races, lots of revs, and three
different cams with the same lifter set. They look brand new, and so do the
cam lobes. There is no detectable wear--at all. These things might just be
permanent. From what I hear they can be catastrophically destroyed if the
valve hits the piston or any other sharp knock. But so far, I like what I
see.

They also weigh about half what a modified iron lifter weighs. Mine are
usually shortened and drilled. I don't remember exactly what these ceramic
one weigh, but 63 grams sticks in my head.