fot

Rod Bearing Survey

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Rod Bearing Survey
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:10:46 -0600
Thanks to all who contributed to our collective knowledge on the
subject of "which rods fail first". There have been a number of
significant enough that I thought you would be interested in a grand total.

We got responses from 16 drivers, including Effinger, Kastner,
Gillanders, and Solow. There were a total of 46 failures noted. I've
listed all failures irrespective of cause, like bolt breakage, rod
breakage, and lubrication problems.

Tally:

#1 rod - 0
#2 rod - 17
#3 rod - 24
#4 rod - 5

I found the numbers interesting for a couple of reasons.
First off, it's obvious that the preponderance of failures occur on #2 and #3.
Secondly, there was a mixture of rod failure, bolt failure, and lube
failure as the attributable causes. Isn't that strange? Why would
rods and bolts break more frequently there instead of those failures
being evenly distributed?

Another puzzle to me is that not one failure was noted on #1. I would
have expected just the opposite, because with the distributor bushing
intersecting the gallery between the supply hole from the pump and
the #1 main, I'd expect it to have the least oil. But I guess I would
have been wrong.

Anyway, I'm going to continue to drill out the center main oil feed
holes, and I wonder if I should also enlarge the hole in the main
bearing shell as well, opening it up to the new diameter of the hole
from the gallery to that main.

uncle jack