fot

re: shelf life of shocks

To: FOT LIST <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: shelf life of shocks
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:45:38 -0700
All,

      Over the years I have collected 10 Koni adjustable front shocks
for TRs mostly pulled off junkyard TRs. Last year I wondered how many
were worth saving so I took them to a friend who has a 100hz
computerized shock dyno that even impresses the Ohlins and Koni people.
All 10 tested OK. I know they are all at least 20 years old and have
been stored in a hot storage shed in Az where it will easily reach 125 F
inside all summer long. My concern would be the  life left in the seals
once they were put into heavy use on a car but I still can't bring
myself to throw them away since they are repairable. I guess that's why
I now have two storage sheds. Is there a 12 step program for collectors?

Greg Lund