fot

Re: front caliper question

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front caliper question
From: "TR4Tony" <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:05:33 -0000
Hi Chaps - greetings for overcast and freezing bl**dy cold Hampshire - even
my space heater isnt enough to keep me working in there tonight.

There are 3 types of brake caliper for the TR2 and TR3 as you rightly
indicate - the first 2 are awful to get parts for (and expensive - and not
as good!); If I can help you from the UK let me know - it must be worse for
you  'over there'.

Type 1 is the alloy caliper which ran on the TR3 from TS 13046 up to about
TS 56000 depending on whether it was a wire or steel wheel car (TS 56376 and
TS 56383 if you want to be clever about it!). TR2 - this is the one with the
external linkage pipe between the two halves.

Type 2 was a cast steel caliper which was also used on the early TR4's (so
TS 56377 / TS56 384, thru the TSF series TR3B's and to CT 4387TR3 This is
what people refer to as the 'long' caliper. Pads are the same as Type 1.

Types 1 and 2 used the same fittings kit and they appear equally difficult
to repair as the placement of the cylinder and dust seals is very fiddly. I
use the edge of a cut alloy tube to place these when I have to - otherwise I
just buy exchange units if they are available.

Type 3 is the later type which was used on the later TR4, TR4a etc, through
to the early TR6 I believe and is the best of the bunch. These seem a lot
easier to do at home, even though you need to be very careful of torquing
the inner and outer bolts to their different settings. Again im now getting
these reconditioned as a lump very cheaply.

You can also use a single pot Jaguar caliper (nearly fits), a twin pot
Austin Rover caliper (fits like a dream) - both using standard solid discs
or some jap stuff if you are that way inclined, plus of course all the go
faster alloy things, with vented discs etc. etc. Ive used both the Jag and
the AR twin pot (nearly period - 1971 for these) with good results and parts
are commonly available - get in touch if you want to know more. the alloy
stuff is good but largely illegal for most motorsport here unless brakes are
totally free - I have next to no experience here consequently but im sure
there are others who have.

Regards

Tony