fot

Re: Testing Lifters?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Testing Lifters?
From: chasgee@aol.com
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 01:33:36 -0500
I don't feel that nitriding is the way to go with lifters.  Using a
good material with high through hardness (like a tool steel or
ceramic) is better.  No spalling of the hardened surface which leads
to hard metal debris.

Original ones are chilled on the ends, which is essentially through
hardened about 1/8 inch up.  That's why they can be re-ground without
a problem.  Make sure your regrinder puts a slight radius on the
surface to promote rotation.  Stock ones wear out because they are
completely flat (sorry Bill, I know this is contrary to one of your
previous statements).

Chuck
Spitfire Racer