fot

RE: [MGVR] MG Specials - Authenticity and Rules

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [MGVR] MG Specials - Authenticity and Rules
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:37:26 -0500
HI Bill and the rest of the FOT,

At 12:02 PM 1/14/2006 -0800, Bill Babcock wrote:
>I have a lot more questions than answers. I've been trying to provoke some
>debate on these issues. I'd enjoy hearing both your concerns and potential
>solutions.

I first became involved with vintage racing over 20 years ago by being
recruited to flag with RMVR for the first Steamboat Race, back in,
hmmmm, 1982 or '83, I guess it was.  Those same sorts of concerns
were around then, and have not gone away.  In my opinion, there's a
fundamental dichotomy in the whole concept of vintage racing - that is,
is it  place for really, really cool cars to come out and play, or does it
really have something to do with racing and winning.  Again, in my
opinion, there is no way to resolve that problem completely; that is,
it is inherent in the whole idea of vintage racing.  My solution, which
is probably not the popular one here, was to stick with the SCCA and
go racing (albeit in a class that some consider to be a vintage class
anyway - Formula Ford).  That way, there's no question as to intent,
and there's a clearly defined set of rules of preparation level to adhere
to.  It works for me, anyway.

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net