fot

RE: TR3 Steering Rack

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering Rack
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:07:52 -0800
Wow, Todd, sounds like you're building a replica of my cheater TR3 that is
pretty much banned from racing anywhere but Latvia. Well, actually I could
probably race it in SCCA Vintage, but they accept MGTDs with 454 rat motors.
I'd suggest you spend some time with whoever makes the rules at the
organizations you want to race with.  Fiberglas is generally a big no, no.

Worse yet, putting a rack into a TR3 is a pretty complex modification that
requires a lot of knowledge about bump steer and general front suspension
design. I really, really don't mean to be insulting or patronizing, but the
questions you're asking tell me that you're not ready for this. I strongly
suggest that you get some experience under your belt with some very
straightforward modifications. Get the stock stuff to work first. All the
folks here will be glad to help you, but walk before you run.

I'm highly qualified to give that advice since I have a remarkably competent
TR3 race car in my shop that hasn't moved for five years and probably won't
until I figure out something to do with it. It will handily beat just about
anything short of CanAm car, but nobody will play with me.