fot

RE: TR3 Steering Rack & Fiberglass Body Panels

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering Rack & Fiberglass Body Panels
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:39:02 -0800
> I remember a TR guru from California telling me that  a TR owner took
> off all his steel panels and mounted fiberglass panels to reduce the
> overall weight so he could go faster.  It was 12 pounds lighter after
> all that work and expense.

I didn't see this posting it it's entirety, but I'll tell you that if all he
lost was twelve pounds he did it very, very wrong. On my cheater I removed
ALL the internal sheet metal and hung the glass on little square-tube
subframes. You can pick up the entire front end bodywork of my TR3 with one
hand, as I do regularly when I sweep around it. Some of the FOT guys have
seen the car. It's EXTREMELY light--1248 dry according to my notebook. Seems
impossibly light, but Peyote is 1550 wet, and it's got a heavy frame.