fot

Spitfire 1147 connecting rods

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1147 connecting rods
From: claus@triumphracing.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:32:19 +0100 (CET)
Hi list.

I've read in the original competition manual that the early connecting
rods (from engines with numbers lower than around FC32000, as far as I
recall) should be avoided in racing use. I pulled one from a spare engine
(an early unit with number FC12000 or thereabouts) and the forged number
on the cap said 130325. The later rods I've bought secondhand have number
140773, and are somewhat different in detail.

However none of these numbers match the part numbers Rimmer Bros give for
early con rods (their catalogue says 146543), and the numbers mentioned in
the competition manual are different as well.

So, can anyone confirm that the rods with numbers 140773 are suitable for
my purpose: A 1147 racing engine?

Best regards,

Claus Ebberfeld
1963 Spitfire 4