fot

Rags lives!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Rags lives!
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:33:24 -0500
Amici,

Got the motor running last night.  All the problems that I have been having;
slow cranking, fire in the distributor, intermittent spark; were all due
to...... engine was not earthed!  Yup, stoopid me forgot to ground the
engine.

I was hooking up some safety wire to run the 3 chokes when the wire started
to glow red when it touched the body.  So I hooked up a grounding strap, and
the motor fired and ran within a 1/2 a revolution.  100 lbs of oil pressure,
perhaps a little high and I should check the oil pressure release valve.

Motor sounds awesome.  Ran it at around 2000 rpm.  Plugged a few leaks while
it ran.  The GP3 is a nice sounding cam.  Played with timing.  I set the
roller rockers per the instructions (17 thous on inlet, 19 thous on
exhaust), but they sound a little noisy to me.  The head is getting a lot of
oil.

I'm going to have to strip the carbs.  I pulled the plugs and 2 of the plugs
(Champion RNY7C) were wet (not from the same carb, so not a float bowl
problem?), and the other 4 were very sooty.  Curiously, the header from one
of the wet plugs was hotter than the others.  Thats bizarre because I
thought that the hot header would have been due to a lean condition.  I
think a carb teardown is in order.

I'm going to run stock plugs (Champion NY9) as well, just in case the cold
plugs that I was using were not correct.

Woohoo!  I'm a little deaf now as the motor was unmuffled.  It certainly
sounds strong and studly.

Shane Ingate, stoked in Maryland