fot

Tractor Motors in Tractors

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tractor Motors in Tractors
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:56:36 -0600
I use a machine shop that does a lot diesel, industrial engines and
tractors.  Like all of these guys, they've gotten into the competition
side of things, i.e. tractor pull motors.  Those guys must be nuts, e.g.
"Would you please stroke this motor an inch, because I really need 15
liters!".  He was showing me a small 4 cyl flathead Continental engine
for a Massey-Ferguson tractor and remarked that flatheads just could not
compete with the OHV engines.  We then talked about the
Ferguson/Standard-Triumph connection.  I realized I know very little
about which Ferguson tractors these motors were used in and where they
were sold.  I got the impression that Ferguson tractors were set up for
a variety of different motors. He said they didn't get very many
rebuilds with Standard motors. Perhaps most of the tractors sold in
North America had Continental or some other engine.  Does anyone know
the history of our engines in Ferguson tractors?  Wouldn't it be cool to
see one of our hopped up tractor motors in a tractor pull competition?
Larry Young