fot

Re: [FOT] tr3 alternator/negative ground

To: "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>, <KENMUN@aol.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] tr3 alternator/negative ground
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:02:21 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>
To: <KENMUN@aol.com>; <FOT@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:00 PM

> Ken, haven't seen any responses to this, so I'll jump in.
> I'm not sure what changes have to be made to the starter when going from
> positive ground to negative ground.  If you buy one of Shumaker's gear
> reduction starters, that problem's solved.

No change needed.  The starter will run in the correct
direction on either pos or neg ground.

> Of course, ground the negative side of the battery.  If you are running
> the ammeter, you'll need to reverse the wires to it, I think.

Yes

> Take the generator bracket off of the side of the motor, and plug the
> holes with bolts and sealant - they go through the block and will leak if
> left open.  Use a one wire alternator of some sort (most use the GM, but
> some use little japanese ones).  Bottom attaches to the front of the front
> plate where the old generator mounted.  Put a strap from the front of that
> bolt to a water pump bolt.  You may have to saw a bit off of the
> alternator to make the pulleys line up.  Mine needed about 1/4" - GM one
> wire alternator.  Use stock upper adjustment strap.  Put oversized pulley
> on alternator so it doesn't spin too fast and burn up the bearings.
> (Moroso or something)
>
> Buy narrow pulley arrangement (crank and water pump) from Gillanders.  Run
> the narrow belt.
>
> Have master switch either cut off ignition or alternator wire.  Mine does
> the alternator wire.  I prefer that to the ones that cut off the ignition.
> But I've heard strong arguments in favor of the opposite.
>
> May have to swap wires on the coil primary so that plus is on the correct
> side.

Correct, although the coil will still probably work anyway but at
a reduced efficiency.

> The factory radio won't work in this arrangement.  :)

But check the radio itself as several radios
of that era had a pos/neg ground switch or plug that can be
reset to NEG ground.  But since this is for a vintage racer, I doubt
the vehicle has a radio anyway.

I once sold a TR-4 (pos ground) to a neighbor and when he
replaced the battery he just assumed it was neg ground.
After installing a new battery with NEG ground, everything on
the TR4 worked as it should except the ammeter which
indicated opposite conditions.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl