fot

Re: [FOT] broken head stud

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] broken head stud
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:03:41 -0600
Wow!

Thanks for all the replies.  There were so many replies I'm just going to
thank everyone in one email!!!

I did neglect to mention that the stud that had broken off was one of the
long ones.  The broken part is about 5" below the top of the block.  It
seems like just about everyone had the same general idea of making a
pilot of some sort to guide the drill bit to keep straight and centered
in the hole.  What I'll probably need to do is to make a pilot that goes
almost all the way into the hole just to make sure the drill bit stays
centered on top of the broken stud.

Since I'm not in need of this block right now every so often I'll fill
the hole with kroil (of which we have a gallon around here somewhere) and
let it do its magic before attempting to extract the broken stud.

I do like the idea of welding a drill rod onto the end of an easy out to
help try and extract it.  That was one of the areas I was unsure of what
to do.

As for the machine shop, I was really disappointed he didn't offer to try
and remove the broken bolt.  He basically said sorry, gotta another block
for me to work on.  Didn't make me to happy to say the least.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice.  I feel a lot better about being
able to salvage this block.

Thanks,

Brad
1957 TR3 Vintage racer