fot

Re: [FOT] Time to replace the harness

To: henry@henryfrye.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] Time to replace the harness
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:26:30 -0600
Henry,
I've been looking into the harness situation lately. The SCCA is allowing
2 inch FIA but NOT SFI shoulder belts only when used with the HANS
device. For a lap belt the argument seems to be that a 2 inch belt fits a
human body in the hip / pelvis area better and can be tightened 1.5
inches tighter than a 3 inch belt effectively making it act sooner in a
sudden deceleration. Any use of a 2 inch belt for lap or shoulder belt
looks to require FIA approval. I am trying to find documentation of the
difference in strength and construction of FIA approved and SFI approved
2 inch webbing. What I have found thus far, if you want the strongest
strap, buy a winch strap.
The Impact Racing harnesses are polyester and have less stretch and other
improved properties.
The graph that shows the deterioration of nylon webbing supports the
conclusion that my harness is long past 100% loss of tensile strength. As
yet no one who accepts the claim completely will attach the lap belt to
the ceiling, wrap it around their neck, jump off a chair and prove that
100% loss. I'm confident my belts are capable of ripping the "Approved to
British Standards" attachment points from he car.
The argument that the nylon looses its stretch to attenuate an impact is
shot down by the polyester webbing starting life just that way.
This is a serious can of worms. Right now is a tough time to be in the
market for a restraint system.
Bill