fot

RE: [FOT] Rear spring bushings

To: "'triumph_marx@freenet.de'" <triumph_marx@freenet.de>,
Subject: RE: [FOT] Rear spring bushings
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:27:45 -0700
I think most of the reason that stiff springs _seem_ to work on race cars is
that they limit the movement of the suspension, and if your suspension is
working against control(bump steer, excessive camber gain, weird roll
center, etc.), then less is good. But if you get everything else working
properly--bring the roll center up in the front so it matches the rear,
eliminate bump steer for the full travel of the suspension, get the camber
gain right--then suspension movement helps keep the car in contact with the
road.

A softer rear end moves the a more towards neutral handling. It reduces
understeer but doesn't induce oversteer unless it's really soft. Both of my
TR3-based cars have radius rods and panhard bars in the back end, so the
springs are not being used to locate the rear end--they are pretty much just
springs.