fot

[FOT] Water in the oil...

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Water in the oil...
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 00:47:58 -0500
This is my first engine rebuild ever - so don't assume I know ANYTHING...

Late Spitfire 1500.  Head was surfaced, not the block.  I used a
Payen/Federal Mogul self sealing head gasket from TSI. Everything seemed to
experience with degreeing the cam).   On first start up last weekend, I let
it run at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes.  Then I popped off the rocker shaft and
re-torqued the head bolts.  Several were surprisingly loose.  I assumed this
was the cause when I found some water in the oil when I drained it out this
weekend.  At first the oil ran clean and clear, then turned into milky gray
stuff near the end.

New oil and filter today, then let it run for another 20 minutes at 2000
rpm.  Then popped the rockers off and cheeked the torque on all the head
bolts - none needed any tightening at all.  Drained that oil tonight, and
still had some water in the oil.  I don't know how much because I didn't
measure anything.  The oil was lightly milky/cloudy all the way through - so
still in suspension.  I had only let it sit for an hour and a half.

Is this completely unexpected, or does this happen sometimes?  Is it most
likely to be a head to block sealing issue?  What else might be at the root
of this problem?  Any guidance appreciated...

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE