fot

RE: [FOT] Shameless Vintage Promotion

To: Joe Guinan <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Shameless Vintage Promotion
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:48:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Joe Guinan wrote:

> Hey Bill - Is this event going to be on a dirt track?  I just drove by the
> location in Hastings last week, and there's not one square foot of paving
> done and there's not a building anywhere.  It seems like it would be a
> miracle if they were to be able to finish in time.  Here's hoping they will
> "get 'er done" (a quote from a "famous" Nebraskan - Larry The Cable Guy).
>
> I don't know what is different here in the central states, but tracks
> continue to be built.  Kansas City has a huge new Speedway, we have a nice
> road course south of Omaha/Council Bluffs, Rusty Wallace is building a new
> speedway in Newton, Iowa and MPH in Hastings is getting ready to open.
> Maybe it's just that we have the wide open spaces available and a relatively
> low population.  Hallett in Oklahoma and Heartland Park in Topeka are not
> too far away for a weekend race.  This area of the country may become a
> racer's paradise.

... kind of makes up for the northeast. There's talk of new tracks, but
the permitting process is extremely painful, and we're pretty much loosing
all the autocross sites because of noise restrictions and neighbors that
are a lot less then neighborly!

That and the fact that the land prices are INSANE - like $200k for a 1/4
acre building lot.

Now, if they just had sea breezes in Nebraska... I might consider the
whole paradise aspect. :-)

> Joe Guinan
> Fremont, NE

In a State of Envy, from the racing perspective...
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489