fot

RE: [FOT] Reality check: Hybrid hype and HOV cutoff in 07

To: saltfever@comcast.net
Subject: RE: [FOT] Reality check: Hybrid hype and HOV cutoff in 07
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:59:43 -0700
> Hybrids are at their best in slow, stop & go driving.

That's true, but they can also have an advantage cruising at the speed limit.
By being able to offer acceptable performance with a smaller gasoline engine,
pumping losses are reduced.

Friend of mine with a 1st generation Prius reports being able to average 50 mpg
on the freeway.  Of course that's not impossible with non-hybrids ... same
friend reported roughly the same mileage with his diesel Rabbit ... but not and
offer as much performance as the Prius.

> > If you drive that hybrid 15,000 miles a year and pay $2.93 a gallon,

A big if ... sub-$3 gas is only a memory around here.  I've paid as much as
$3.63 for regular (although it's around $3.15-3.20 today).

> > will take you* 8.8 years* to see that payoff at the pump, [for the
> > Highlander hybrid vs regular Highlander] according to Edmunds.

Depends a lot on which numbers you use ... is that the EPA estimated highway
mileage, city mileage, or what it will really do when driven by a real person in
real traffic ?  I know people that report averaging less than half the estimated
city mileage on their SUVs.  When you start comparing 6 mpg to 50, I'll bet the
payback gets shorter.  And does that include the tax break for the hybrid ?

> > The result: the four-door sedan gets an unspectacular 29.5mpg--just
> > half mile per gallon better than a regular four-cylinder Accord.

Aren't we comparing apples to oranges here ?  The Accord "hybrid" has a 255 hp
V6, PLUS whatever the electric motor will do.  Why not compare it to something
else capable of 0-60 in 6.7 seconds ?  Top that off with being able to drive
solo in the carpool lane ... who cares if it saves money <G>

Randall