fot

RE: Mea Culpa Re: [FOT] Reality check: Hybrid hype and HOV

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mea Culpa Re: [FOT] Reality check: Hybrid hype and HOV
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:47:51 -0700
> Making ethanol from corn only takes almost as much energy as the final
> product can produce, if not more. Isn't that true?

I've not kept up with it, but I recall reading a few years back that some
Purdue professor had come up with a method of producing ethanol from corn
that he claimed would be cost efficient.  Don't recall the price of corn at
the time, but he claimed the product could cost about $2 at the pump (with
the corn prices at that time).  ISTR the process used sulfuric acid to strip
away the cellulose, then extracted it again and burned it to provide some of
the energy to refine the ethanol.

Then there the project to make biodiesel from animal offal ...
http://www.emagazine.com/view/?2921

Randall