fot

[FOT] 1.5 (Stromberg) head with 1.625 (S.U.) intake manifold

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] 1.5 (Stromberg) head with 1.625 (S.U.) intake manifold
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:45:03 -0500
To make a  long story short, I didn't check closely enough before I had the
machine shop work done on a cylinder head and now realize I have 1.5 inch
intake ports on the head and 1.625 inch ports on the manifold.  The head is
for a vintage race car, 1961 TR-4.

Question:  Is there enough stock in the head to allow me to bore the head
intake ports out to 1.625 (1/16 th on a side) for a depth of about 1/4 inch
and then smoothing out the step with a die grinder?  I just want to get rid of
that abrupt 1/16 th inch step.  Will probably wind up using the head on a
Stromberg street car engine on my son's car in the future.

Next head that we do will definitely be a 1.625 (S.U.) head for the race
car!!

Thanks in advance,
Tim Murphy