fot

[FOT] Thanks for advice on 1.5 / 1.625 head ports

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Thanks for advice on 1.5 / 1.625 head ports
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 10:22:25 -0500
Thanks to all who replied to my 1.5 versus 1.625 intake port question.  Even
though we have the long intake manifold it has been opened up to 1.625 in
the last 3/4 to 1 inch.  The consensus seemed to be to leave the head at 1.5
and try to find a long intake manifold that had not been modified and was
still at the stock 1.5.  I'll try and get my hands on one.  If anyone has
one that they'd consider parting with, contact me off list please.  I
decided to just radius the head slightly to just break the corners and use
it as is.  Thanks to Bill B. for the tip on the David Vizard book.. I copied
it off the web some time ago, long enough that I forgot I had it!  Some good
info for me.

    It has been a real learning experience.  The head was pretty rusty and I
was just trying to clean up the ports, not do any actual porting, seeing as
how I really wouldn't know what to do.  The first thing I learned was to wear
a mask or respirator.  I gave myself such a headache I thought the top of my
head was coming off.  A lesson I won't forget.  Second, go looking in the
Eastwood catalog for the right length tooling to do the job before you do
the job not afterwards.  They have a nice set of 6 inch long sanding drums
and cones for about $25 that would have been perfect.  All the Dremel tools
and die grinder stones are just a bit short.  Third thing I learned is to
sand blast the heck out of the ports before doing anything else.  And
lastly, do the work in the ports before the machining is done!  That's the
problem of being in a hurry.  As usual, now that the job is done, I know how
to do it!!
    Thanks again.  This is a great group for a novice such as myself to
learn from all of the wisdom out there.  Hopefully at some point I can make
a contribution also.

Tim