fot

[FOT] Neat nut

To: ".Triumph List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Neat nut
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 13:36:28 -0500
I just found a nifty new fastener with the help of the Fastenal people, who
just opened a new store six blocks away from me.

How many of you Spitfire people have grumbled about the attachment of the
outer and inner axles? Nyloc nut is tall enough it seems to provide
insufficient clearance. So I've been using those elliptical locknuts, but they
still grab the very end of the bolt and have a bad habit of backing off. A
longer bolt is not an option -- no room.

Took an inner axle and a flange to Fastenal and explained the problem. He
suggested:

~~~ The "Reverse Locknut." ~~~

Not reverse threads -- the "reverse" part is that you can start it on the bolt
from either side -- the elliptical part is in the middle of the nut, not at
one end. Not sure how new it is, but I'd never heard of it before.

My wife is still telling people how "only a racer" would pay $35 for $2 worth
of nuts. $2 bought me two dozen of them (spares!), the rest was for overnight
shipping. Hey, got the car back together and won the race, so by definition it
was worth the price.

--Rocky Entriken
#4 GP Spitfire