fot

[FOT] Mallory question - further

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Mallory question - further
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:47:09 -0500
Thanks to all who responded both on and off the list to my question
about dwell or points gap on the Mallory. I take each one of you at
your word that what you are doing works for you and is what you
understand to be correct. At the same time, I got quite a range of
answers, so I thought you might be interested in where I ended up and why.

The new distributor I got from Moss is Mallory part number 2332001H.

The instruction sheet says 24 deg dwell but because of the way it is
written I was suspicious that something was left out. I tried to
obtain 24 deg and found that it was not possible - it always came out
greater. I also could not duplicate, with this distributor, the dwell
that Bill Babcock uses, but maybe if I could I would be as fast as he
is (yeah, right). I varied the point gap from .010 to .025 and found
that dwell varied from 54 to 40 deg.

Finally I posed the question to Mallory. The tech guy said yes, the
instruction sheets are a mess with the various versions having been
updated at various times, and they are working through them to make
them correct.

Then he said that proper dwell on my distributor is 42 deg, + - 1
deg. He described the process of obtaining it as follows:

1. Block the second set of points open and set the first (opening)
set so it gives 32 deg dwell.
2. Enable the second (closing) set of points and set those so that
the total dwell with both sets operating is 42.

When I did that, the point gaps ended up .028 on the first set to
give 32 deg, and .012 on the second set to give a total of 42. Not
that it matters, but I may have to do it when I don't have a dwell
meter with me.

Interesting to me is that the instruction sheet for Henry Frye's
distributor calls out .022 on both sets, and when I set my
distributor that way, it gives a total of 42 deg also.

Again, thanks for the input, and perhaps my additional info will help
somebody too.

uncle jack