fot

[FOT] INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE @ ROAD AMERICA

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE @ ROAD AMERICA
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:38:51 EDT
Amici:

Bob Wismer, in our Thunder Bolt, and me in my TR3 chased fuel delivery
problems most of the week end at the KOHLER INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE (KIC) at
ROAD
AMERICA last week end.  Clearly our SUs didn't like the hot, heavy, humid air.
We got both cars running reasonably well by Sunday morning, and were running
well in our respective races (Groups FOUR and ONE respectively).  Both had
DNFs, however.  Bob busted a ring and pinion, and I was convinced I had oil on
the
clutch, a bad throwout bearing, or even a blown clutch, as I went under the
flag bridge towards Turn ONE, all at once it was if the clutch was in (and it
wasn't).  I raised my fist, coasted around Turn ONE, and pulled off Driver's
right.

But low and behold, last night when we checked the TR3 out, we found it was
the DETROIT LOCKER that failed.  That's a first.  That LOCKERs been in there
since the beginning, and this car has been a race car all its life (I have run
over 150 events in it myself).  This LOCKER always looked like brand new every
time we checked it over.

I continue to be pleased with the way the HOOSIER SPEEDSTERs run, but not the
way they look.  In May, as recommended by the dealer as a starting point, I
was running 29/31 (front/back).  Last week end I ran 24/26.  I liked that
better, and in fact I may drop it some more.  I think Bill Babcock may be right
suggesting lower tire pressures.

But avid purist that I am, I also purchased a set of DUNLOPs, which will look
proper.  I'll lose a couple of seconds, but I can always put the HOOSIERs on
if I get mad at someone.

More later.

Bill Dentinger