fot

Re: [FOT] Color Tune & MG Ideas

To: WEmery7451@aol.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] Color Tune & MG Ideas
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:53:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 WEmery7451@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/7/06 9:26:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, BillB@bnj.com
> writes:
>
> << Sounds like the rings are toast. >>
>
> If the rings are toast, they must all be toasted by the same amount.  Every
> time I determined this on other cars in the past, there was always some
> variation of compression in each cylinder.  I am sure that the rings have
>seen quite
> a bit of ware, but the compression on all four cylinders is still in the
> acceptable range.

Well, the bottom line is that you are getting enough oil vapor in the
cylinders to effect the mixture. It's either rings or valve guides.

Do a leak-down test and find out for sure. The motor does not sound too
"healty" to me. It sounds "worn".

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx