fot

RE: [FOT] alternators

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [FOT] alternators
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:10:47 -0400
>I have a new alternator that charges the battery okay but it creates so
>much static that it interferes with the electronic ignition and the
>electronic tach. Just out of curiosity, what goes wrong with an alternator
>to cause that?
>
>uncle jack

Dunno about car alternators, but an Avionics guy once told me that if the
capacitor in or on an airplane alternator goes south, the ripple frequency
that is the "tops" of the rectified three phase sine wave alternator output
will mess with the airplane's avionics.

The cap is in parallel with the alternator output and is supposed to lop off
the peaks and fill in the valleys of the ripple. This is supposed to prevent
the alternator output from steering the pilot wrong. If the cap goes bad,
the alternator becomes an RF transmitter. He said.

If car alternators have this cap, it could be your problem.

John