fot

Subject: RE: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?

To: henry@henryfrye.com
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:23:50 -0400
Henry Frye asked:

>Does anybody have any hard data on how many hours/sessions/race weekends
>before an unacceptable leakdown test happens, both with and without air
>filters?

Warning: No Triumph or car content.

As an aside, my 1977 Moto Guzzi Le Mans was delivered stock with velocity
stacks.

I rode it across the Nullabor (Australia) in 1978 when there was still a few
hundred
miles of dirt left unpaved.  I did not replace the rings until 60,000 miles.
  After that
it was mostly paved roads.  Replaced cast-iron liners, pistons and rings at
110,000 miles,
and rings and pistons at 150,000 miles.  No filters at any time.  I
attribute increasing
traffic (and shorter trips) through the years to the apparent increase in
wear rate.

Shane Ingate, hoping Autumn has arrived, in Maryland