fot

Re: [FOT] Dumb, Basic Question on Hood Openings - Placement &

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Dumb, Basic Question on Hood Openings - Placement &
From: <mcandrew@pol.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cary

For louvers, check out this write up by a jeep guy.  He measured underhood
temperatures and mapped out low pressure areas above the hood.  Where high
underhood temperatures and low pressure areas on top of the hood
overlapped he put his louvers.

http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm

Jim McAndrew

>     Would someone please explain the different purposes served by having
> the
> air hood scoop opening facing forward verses facing "backward" toward
the  windsheid on a competition car.? (For discussion purposes, let
assume that it is a  TR8)

>     Secondly, what is the primary purpose served by a series of louvers
> (Sp?)
> cut into the bonnet or hood? Is there any engineering specifics on the
distance that they should be from each other or the depth to which they
should be  bent ( angle), opening size or otherwise cut to facilitate
air flow?

>     Is there any engineering specifics (depth/spacing) on how to
> position
> these louvers in a row on the bonnet/hood to facilitiate cooler air
enterring the  intake area and/or warm air exiting hotter areas? Should
the opening be  facing forward or backward?

>     I have seen cars with multiple rows of louvers on the hood and same
> model
> car with only one row. Are some of these guys with many rows just doing
cosmetic work, do they shred cheese on them later for Pizzas, or is
there something  to be gained?