fot

[FOT] Re: TR6 Steering Rack Mounting question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Re: TR6 Steering Rack Mounting question
From: JFrymark@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:03:20 EDT
Amici,

I'm trying to eliminate the marshmallow feeling at center steering position
on my street TR6. I replaced the rubber steering rack bushings with urethane.
The manual calls for a distance of .125" between the rack flanges and the
u-bolt assembly. I can only get this gap down to about .375" following the VTR
tech
tip using steering opposite lock to compress the assembly before tightening
the u-bolts and the rack still moves side to side. The TR4 workshop manual
shows a screw jack expander to compress the rubber mounts before tightening. Is
this necessary? Any slick tips on how-to by you experienced guys? Should I
forget the urethane bushings and just go with the solid alloy mounts?

John Frymark
VARA #67 TR4A