fot

[FOT] ignition systems

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] ignition systems
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:37:21 -0500
I only have experience with three different electronic ignition
systems, so I'm not an expert on them. The one thing they have is
common, for me as a racer / user, is that when something goes wrong,
it is hard to find what it is and usually impossible to fix, unless I
have  whole redundant system along with me. If I have a conventional
system, I can fix it with a continuity tester and a small supply of
relatively cheap parts -- it's got to be the wire coming to the
system, or the cap, rotor, points, condenser, or coil.

I used an electronic ignition system in m race car for ten years and
it worked okay, but when it did fail I had to put in a conventional
distributor to find out if the brain box was bad. Likewise last week
when my TR6 suddenly quit running and coasted to a stop -- I had no
idea if the Prtronix quit or something else happened.

uncle jack